Sunday, November 13, 2016

Books by Thich Nhat Hanh

 After spending time with Pema Chodron, I was directed to read the writings of Thich Nhat Hanh, a Vietnamese Buddhist monk who lives in exile for refusing to take sides in the political strife that we call the Vietnam War. 

I chose these two to start - short and simple. His writings contain a depth that I had not found in the writings of others on the subject of mindfulness. Perhaps it's his experience with deep suffering and pain that makes his way different. Whatever the reason, I feel as if I truly just began my own practice of mindfulness as I read these two books.  

I found myself breathing more mindfully just reading the words, awareness rising with a consistency that I had not been able to maintain before.  Even in the middle of an energy-draining day at work, I've been able to stop and breathe.

How to Sit is a short, concise book about, well, how to sit! Here is how sitting is defined:

"To sit, in this book, means to sit in such a way that you enjoy sitting, to sit in a relaxed way, with your mind awake, calm, and clear."

Here are a few quotes I highlighted from The Miracle of Mindfulness:

"... consider the act of each step we take as an infinite wonder."

"Every day we are engaged in a miracle which we don't even recognize: a blue sky, white clouds, green leaves, the black, curious eyes of a child - our own two eyes. All is a miracle."

"Keep your attention focused on the work, be alert and ready to handle ably and intelligently any situation which may arise - this is mindfulness."

"... a calm heart and self control are necessary if one is to obtain good results."

"Breath is the bridge which connects life to consciousness, which unites  your body to your thoughts. Whenever your mind becomes  scattered, use your breath as the means to take hold of your mind again."

Practical and clearly written, I have never felt more grounded, more peaceful, or content with life as I have since putting into practice what I have learned from his writings. As anxiety, fear, tension arise, as they will no matter what, I can use his strategies to detach and not fall into self-reproach or codependency. 

Some of it surprised me as he presents the idea of seeing your own body as it decomposes and becomes white bones. This rather shocked me at first, but I see the point now. It's all part of the cycle of life and this physical body is only one manifestation of who we are. I am separate from my body - it's just a shell, a means to function on this earth. 

Buddhism is not incompatible with other religions - it adds a dimension that merely helps us to truly live life with a fullness that I found lacking in my past.

Anyway, I hope you'll give them a read. They both get a 5 star rating!


No comments:

Post a Comment